The Dog who ate a $700.00 Raisin Bran Muffin

admin

For one of our clients it started out as a normal morning, having just made raisin bran muffins she decided to add one to her lunch bag. Finishing up a few things before heading out the door to work she sat her lunch bag down and returned a minute later to find her 60lb. yellow lab had eaten the raisin bran muffin. She remembered raisins are on the TOXIC FOOD LIST for dogs, she immediately called the vet.

 Vet said bring her dog in. Because our client was sure her dog ingested raisins around 25 of them within the last two hours, vet needed to induce vomiting immediately, before all the toxins in the fruit can be absorbed. After this, vet began intravenous fluid therapy to flush the toxin out of the dog’s bloodstream and to encourage the kidneys to keep producing urine. During this time, the vet monitored dog’s kidney function with regular rechecks of bloodwork and dog remained in animal hospital overnight. Because the dog was treated immediately she made a full recovery. But the Raisin Brann Muffin eaten by dog cost client $700.00 in vet bills.

If the dog’s kidneys have failed to the point that they can no longer produce urine, the prognosis becomes grave. Hemodialysis may be necessary to support life until (and if) the kidneys can recover. Kidney transplant may be an option for some owners, but in most cases, euthanasia is the only practical option once a dog’s kidneys have totally shut down. 

 Keep raisins and grapes out of reach of your dog, as dogs will ingest almost anything. Make sure that all family members are aware of the toxic capacity of this food, as well as other foods that have been found to be poisonous to pets, such as chocolate, onions, garlic, etc. If you do discover that your dog has ingested raisin or grapes, acting immediately gives your dog the best chance at survival.