BENEFITS OF FISH OIL FOR DOGS AND CATS
5 GREAT BENEFITS OF FISH OIL FOR DOGS AND CATS
- EPA, one of the two omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil, acts as an anti-inflammatory. It will help with any condition that causes inflammation of the heart, kidneys, skin, and joints – such as arthritis.
- It will ease inflammation due to allergies, and reduce itchy skin and dandruff. This can also be an effective way to potentially decrease the incidence of hot spots on your pet.
- Like many fat supplements, it promotes a shiny, healthy coat, and reduces shedding. (For cats, this may also mean fewer hairballs, since your cat won’t pick up as many loose hairs while grooming.)
- DHA, the other omega-3 fatty acid in fish oil, is important in brain and eye development in puppies and kittens. Giving fish oil to pregnant or nursing pets can benefit the babies once they’re born.
- In some studies, fish oil has slowed the growth of cancer. Though more studies are needed to reach conclusive results, some veterinarians recommend it for any pets with cancer.
Fish oil for dogs and cats comes in capsule or liquid form. If your pet will cooperate, give them the capsule to eat. If your pet has no interest in swallowing the capsule use a clean safety pin or a small knife to open the capsule and squeeze the liquid onto your pet’s food or buy fish oil in liquid form. I like to get my fish oils from animalessentials.com.